When I just moved to Dubai, the first thing I did was I joined the Meetup Dubai network in order to find people and communities with similar interests.
Registering with the website was easy, what got me was the next step, when I had to pick a group. There were literally thousands of networking, socializing, partying, business, and sports communities. Many of them were quite vibrant, others looked very quiet. I started joining groups that seemed relevant to me and my reading/arts/socializing/meeting new people interests but after a few days I figured out something else.
- There is a certain category of people (males) that seem to be sending private messages to all the women in their groups, probably hoping for a date. It can get really annoying so in order to avoid that, change your privacy settings. It made my life much easier.
- Try choosing meetups where you have to answer some sort of a questionnaire. Meetups allowing everyone to join are full of random people who just join for the sake of joining. Questionnaires pre-screen the members, which makes sure that there are mostly like-minded people in the group.
- Before joining the group, check when they last had an event. The group might be inactive for the past few years, but still showing on the website. If you are serious about making new friends and connections, choose something that is active, otherwise you might end up not going to any meetups at all.
- Specify your interests. It helps quite a lot to select only areas that interest you. Try to make at least some of them. Once you start, you might meet some great people out there and expand your social circle.
And now, here is a list of meetups for the week, which might help you no matter whether you are new in town or are looking for something different:
Wednesday, April 6
- For your soul- Dubai Art Fans
Volunteer To Help Us At 1 Of Our 3 DAF Stands At World Art Dubai, from 10 a.m. http://www.meetup.com/artfans/
- For eloquence- Dubai Internet City Toastmasters Club
DIC Toastmasters Club Meeting, from 6:00 p.m.
- To never go broke- PinoyHow Q&A Community – Dubai Chapter
Financial Literacy 101 – Back to Basics, from 7:00 P.M.
- For ladies in Marina- Ladies’ Fitness, Fun & Friendships in Dubai Marina & JBR
Let’s Go For A Brisk Walk Around The Marina, from 7:15 P.M.
- To practice your French- French Connection in Dubai
Book club – Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran – Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt
From 8:30 P.M
Thursday, April 7
- To learn some English- English Chat & Coffee with Mint English
Have coffee and speak English!
- For adventurers- Dubai Outdoor Adventures
Khasab C a.m.ping & Fishing Adventure “, 7:00 P.M.
- For some easy-going socializing- Dubai Happy Hours Club
Drinks at Spirito! from 9:00 P.M.
Friday, April 8
- To capture some beauty- Dubai Photography & Skiing Meetup and Excursions
Old Souk and Bastakiya @ Deira Dubai Street photo shooting at 5:30 A.M.
- For early risers- Crafting Female Friendships – Dubai
Big Bubble Run! 5km at 7:00 A.M
- More adventure- Rush-A-Way — An Adventure Race
An Adventure Race around Dubai. Get Set RUSH!
- For some emotional support- Life Beyond Cancer
Seafood, conversations and a lot more! From 2:00 P.M.
- To get out of the box- Dubai Tango Social Club
Start Learning Tango!
- To get your dream job- Cabin Crew Interview Preparation Seminar
- For golf lovers- Dubai Golf Meetup
Play Par 3 at Dubai Creek at 4:00 P.M.
- For serious people- Finance and Accounting Professionals of Dubai
Let’s Have Our First Introductory Meet Up at 6:00 P.M.
Saturday, April 9
- More golf- The Expats Club – Singles in The City http://www.meetup.com/singlesinthecity/
GOLF Improvers at 12:15 P.M. – AED 975 for 6 weekends
- For outdoor people- Exclusive Club
Day c a.m.ping & BBQ at Al Qudra, Dubai
- For bookworms- Mrs Darcy’s Book Club at Spontiphoria at 4:00 P.M.
Discuss the first book for our book club http://www.meetup.com/Mrs-Darcys-Book-Club-at-Spontiphoria/events/229730713/
- To shake it- Strictly Come Modern Jive
Let’s meet to learn some new moves and socialise afterwards
Monday, April 11
- For fashion networking- The Dubai Beauty Business Group
Do you want to network with people in the Beauty Industry ?
- For small business owners- Inspirational Women of the UAE
Small Business Owners Panel Talk and Networking from 7:30 P.M.
Note: Meetup is the world’s largest network of local groups. Meetup makes it easy for anyone to organize a local group or find one of the thousands already meeting up face-to-face. More than 9,000 groups get together in local communities each day, each one with the goal of improving themselves or their communities. Meetup Dubai is a vibrant community that consists of subcommunities, each organized by a passionate member.